Maggie Gyllenhaal‘s Oscar dress got mixed reviews. There was a lot of: Who wears patterns to the Academy Awards? I like aspects of her Dries Van Noten gown. It was super flattering and daring, but maybe a little too casual for the fancy event… I like the neckline and the silohete on her, but I don’t like the white at the bottom hem, and the material wrinkled so easily… Not good for an event where you spend like 500 hours sitting.
Maggie’s makeup, however, was flawless. Molly R. Stern, CoverGirl celebrity makeup artist, created her gorgeous look. For Maggie’s makeup, Molly wanted to bring out the color of her eyes add some depth and keep with the brightness of her overall style. Find out the very specific details on how Molly achieved Maggie’s fresh look!
- Molly started off the look by refreshing Maggie’s skin with Jurlique Rose Water Balancing Mist and then I prepped the skin with Shu Uemura Red: Juvenus Intense Vitalizing Concentrate and lightly moisturized with La Mer Moisturizing Lotion.
- For a flawless complexion, Molly then primed Maggie’s skin with CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless Serum Primer, which will be out in July!
- She then lightly applied some Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation in the shade ‘Cream’ only where Maggie needed it.
- Lastly, she dusted La Mer Powder Foundation in ‘Ivory’ to set Maggie’s skin for the big night.
- For her amber peachy cheeks, Molly used CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless Sculpting Blush in Rich Cinnamon and dusted some NARS ‘Dolce Vita’ blush on the apples.
How to recreate Maggie’s bright eyes and pink lips, after the break!
- For Maggie’s eyes, Molly layered copper and smoke shades starting with a base of CoverGirl Smoky ShadowBlast in Bronze Fire.
- Next, Molly deepened her lid color with NARS Soft Touch Shadow Pencil ‘Skorpios’ and then blended Shu Uemura Pressed Eye Shadow ‘P Brown 810′ into the crease.
- Lastly, she lightly dusted Shu Uemura Pressed Eyeshadow in ‘N Me Brown 860′ all over the lid for a golden finish.
- For the under eye, Molly re-smudged the CoverGirl Smoky ShadowBlast under her lash line to bring out the blue of Maggie’s eyes.
- She defined her lashes by combining brown and black mascara. She painted the lashes with both colors using CoverGirl LashBlast Length for perfectly flirty long lashes.
Shiny Pink Lips:
- On Maggies lips Molly applied NARS ‘Schiap’ lip color. Molly says it was the perfect shade to finish off the look because its bright hue matches Maggie’s vibrant sense of style and confidence.
The finished product was perfection. “She looked like herself,” says Molly. “Authentic, cool and beautiful. Being a part of Oscar day with a nominee is such an honor. It’s like an actress’ wedding day with Hollywood. I love being here. I feel so blessed.”